June 02, 2009


I've always had a fascination with pine bark. Perhaps from an early experience in my childhood that I can't put my finger on now, there has always been something about the way pine bark looks that is unique to me. The way it grows, and flakes just amazes me, as if it is telling a story with it's bark.
Most of the trees I have that are pine bonsai are relatively young, as some are grown from seed, or young seedlings, and are just beginning to tell their own story.



Even more intriguing to me is that fact that each different species has its own traits. I am currently growing a few different species, including pinus nigra, pinus thunbergii, and pinus densiflora. Here are some pictures from a couple days ago that I took, see if you can see what the bark is saying to you. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Jonas said...

I'm a sucker for pine bark as well. Seeing the amazing trees in Japan - or up in the Sierra - really is a pleasure.

About Me

My photo
Currently a member of Bay Island Bonsai-I have begun to learn all over again with Boon Manakitivipart