May 22, 2012

Peppers this season

Well, it's been forever since I have posted, but wanted to show my crop of hopefuls for this year. I am so glad I found Bhut Jolokia peppers this year, as I was hunting for them last year, but always arrived to the nurseries that carried them too late. (maybe that's why I bought 3 plants for this year)
The Bhut Jolokia (ghost pepper) brings searing heat, as I can attest to having had a raw slice last year. Dehydrating these and saving them for later will go a LONG way! On the Scoville scale, this pepper is rated 800,000 - 1,041,000 scoville units. An ordinary Jalapeno is rated at 2,500 - 5,000...if that gives you any help understanding the intensity. There is a new hottest pepper out there, the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, which goes off at a staggering 1,400,000+ on the scoville scale. Frankly, it gets to a point with me where hot reaches a limit.
This is another favorite that I have grown before, the Carribean Red Habanero. The beauty of this one is the lack of citrus notes found in the regular habanero, with almost a floral taste, but a bit more heat than a regular habanero.
This sad little struggler is the Fatali pepper, another in the habanero family, which produces peach flavors with the heat. I'm looking forward to trying this one this year, and will let you know what the results are. Also, not pictured is a pepper I picked up called the burning bush. They're in the Habanero family also, but are said to have a sweet taste....hmmm, we'll see.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Currently a member of Bay Island Bonsai-I have begun to learn all over again with Boon Manakitivipart